<VV> Air-cooled V engines (very little Corvair) - was: v-stylecorvair engine

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 22:21:00 EDT 2008

Another Continental engine that appeared to be built on the same block was
the AVSI 1790 (Aircooled, Vee-type, Spark Ignition)  that was (still) in the
M88 recovery vehicle during my first enlistment (1975-78).  Had dual
magnetos and ran like stink when everything was right.  The AVDS (Aircooled,
Vee-type, Diesel, Supercharged) was alive and well in the M88A1 when I
retired in 1995.

Did a web search for some of the above-mentioned vehicles and fond
iformation that said,wors to the effect of "M88 was unable to tow the M1
tank"  B***s**t!
It wasn't rated to pull the M1 because the M1 was heavier.  You were
*supposed* to use a braking vehicle, but that never happened, at least at
relatively flat Ft. Riley.

Mike Ioanes
M88 was my favorite vehicle to tc