<VV> NOx emissions -- was Re: Air-cooled Diesels (CORVAIR) -

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 23:25:21 EDT 2008

One only needs to (maybe) worry about NOx on an emission test if ALL
of these apply:
1) you live in an area that emission tests at all... where I live in
(Western NY) does not... NO cars are tested here.
2) they bother testing old cars.  Lots of places let them slide if
they are 25+ years old.
3) you are one of the small fraction of folks who unfortunately live
in an area that runs emission tests on a chassis dyno.  Most places
that emission test, still just use tailpipe concetration sniffers that
are run with the car staionary at an idle or high idle.  Under such a
setup, the engine isn't under load, so NOx is a minimum and they don't
even bother looking for it. The concentration tests are HC and CO only
and are quite easy to tune around if you really need to.

NOx only matters IF your car is tested on a chassis dyno.  If that is
teh case, yes, enriching the A/F mixture will drop the NOx, but you
will make HC worse in the process and CO will skyrocket.  So, the
solution is not as simple as a second mixture map unfortunately.  The
water injection would be a lot easier and more effective for that
matter...

But is there anybody who lives where its actually required their
Corvair be chassis dyno tested for emissions?

Jim Burkhard