<VV> flex plate bolts loosening

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 7 14:59:50 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: cfm <cfmann at yahoo.com>
Subject: <VV> flex plate bolts
To: Virtual Vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>

my flex plate bolts came loose again. live and learn. will torque and thread
lock this time. Glad I know that the front engine shroud is the best place to go
and get that fixed.

Usually flex plate, pressure plate, and even flywheel bolts are NO problem.
Loctite may keep the bolt from turning, but if the clamping is insufficient, something like this happens next.
http://www.boltscience.com/images/boltf6.jpg

I'd be looking at -
- the mating faces (at best probably can only see the trq converter face, and the flex plate surface that the bolt head sits on
- the depth of the tapped hole in the torque converter (count turns long threaded bolts can go in hand tight)
- the thread length of the TQ cvrter bolt being used.

Misalignment between engine and bell housing can loosen bolts and crack flex plates.  Were the dowels still in the engine case/bell housing.

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA