<VV> Factory Quick Steering Box into an early 65 - More info

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 13:17:54 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/7/2008 7:32:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
schwasd at verizon.net writes:

Seth,

I guess I failed to mention I got the whole shootin' match...box, arms  AND
the column (complete with the wire harness), which I had painted to match  the
original.  That's why I was asking about the difference in the flange  at the
floor.  I think the '65 is 2-bolt and the '66 is 3-bolt.   I've been told I
can use one out the two original holes in the floor and have  to drill new ones
for the other two.  Do you know which hole in the floor  is "common"?  It may
be obvious when I finally begin this process but  wondered if someone could
tell me.

The column on the 66 has three holes, as does the 65, but they are in
different locations. I don't think any of them are common to the other. Or, at
least not common enough.  When you removed the column and box from the  66, did
you remove the collar from the other side of the firewall? This is a  heavy
stamped steel piece which has the three nuts that the bolts through the  firewall
will screw into. After the column is out, a small screw (from the other  side
of the firewall) holds the collar in place. If you undo this small screw,  the
collar will fall out. If you didn't get this part, try to go back and get
it. It makes the job a lot easier.

What I would do is install the column in the car, with the coupler end slid
through the firewall and bolt it up under the dash. The flange will sit
against  the firewall. Mark the locations of the three holes using the column flange
as a  template. Remove the column and drill out the three holes. Then
reinstall the  column using the collar on the other side to accept the three bolts.
(This is  definitely a two-person job) If you don't have the collar, use large
flange  washers on the other side.  Seal around it if the original 65 holes
are not  completely covered - this is a place where water will enter if not
sealed.  Then install the box from underneath. There is no good way to install the
66  coupler in the car, but it can be done. Some parts remain with the column
and  some stay with the coupler. It is possible to install the completely
assembled coupler on the column before you slide the column in place (I
believe) then all you have to do is convince the steering box spline to slide  into
it. Remember to pre-install the clamp over the shaft before you "slip  it in",
so to speak. That's it. While you are cursing at the splines and the  coupler,
remember that the end game is a faster steering and more responsive  handling

Now you have me wondering about the year of the "new" one.  How can  I tell a
'66 from a '67 or later for the steering wheel  spline?

The 1964, 1965 and 1966 Corvair (excluding the 65-66 tele column) used a
steering wheel spline smaller than every other GM car. The 67-69 used a bigger
spline, the same as the 60-63, as a matter of fact. What column was your after
market steering wheel installed on? The 1965 on in the  car? It will fit  the
new one.

Are the diameters different?  I have an after-market steering  wheel so maybe
acquiring a new hub would solve the problem, if it turns out to  actually be
other than a '66.

Maybe you can tell I'm a little nervous about doing  this.

Man made, man can fix it! You can do it

Any guidance is appreciated.

Steve
140 VAIR