<VV> PG - WATCH OUT!

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 10 10:01:04 EDT 2008

When I tried this I pulled the rod from the engine compartment and it
caused the tine on the transmission valve inner gear to bend and go
past the nut on the end of the valve of the detent valve assembly.
Pictures available if interested.  I know what you're thinking - you
pulled too hard.  The first time I tried this, perhaps.  The second
time - no way - I was concentrating on the feel of the detent
engaging and it STILL happened.  BTW, if the tine gets stuck behind
the nut, you can count on dropping the pan to disengage it as the car
will race in neutral.  The last time I tried to adjust the linkage, I
took the linkage on the side of the tranny through detent BY HAND in
order to better control the pressure and then used mini-bungies to
hold the linkage on the side of the tranny in full detent and the
cross shaft in full throttle while I made the adjustments to the
swivels in the engine compartment and the throttle link to the
front.  My problem is that when I follow the procedure listed in the
Basics book (and confirmed by others) the linkage on the side of the
tranny is sitting too high (forward part of the arm above the pan
gasket - should be 1/4 to 1/8" below the gasket line and it ends up
1/4 " above) when the bungies are removed and the linkage returns to
idle.

Stephen "hoping for time to delve into this problem" Upham