<VV> Rod caps and balancing

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 11:55:31 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/10/2008 6:19:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
HallGrenn at aol.com writes:

Anybody  with experience building performance  engines have any
recommendations or guidance as to how much rod caps can be  ground  before
they become
too weak?

Bob Hall

Hi Bob,
You may already have your answer from Dan. But just in case, I'll add my
comments too.

As you probably know, Chevrolet just balanced the con rods in opposing
pairs. Thus there can be a great imbalance from pair to pair. So when you want  to
get a set of six balanced there are potential problems because of the great
imbalances between pairs. The balance shops just try to work with what you send
 them so thus often you wind up with an excessive amount of material being
removed in an attempt to balance rods that are way out of balance to start
with.  There is only one solution to that in my opinion and that is to send at
least 18  and better yet 24 rods to the balance shop so that they can pick the 6
that  are already closest in balance before they remove any metal.

Now to your question. If you even have the slighest concern that too much
material was removed anywhere on any of the rods, just toss them and have a new
set balanced. Rods are highly stressed on the big ends and might fail at high
 rpms. Of course, if one might fail, it could destroy the engine. So it's
better  to be as safe as possible.
HTH
Regards,
Bob Helt