<VV> break-in oil

Paul paulm at tdl.com
Fri Jun 13 20:47:56 EDT 2008

Please forgive my senior moment regarding the recent discussion about oil, especially that containing ZPPD.  I'm now ready to start my 140 hp motor after it's very long and very expensive rebuild (it cost as much to rebuild the engine as the whole car cost brand-new!).  Bob Helt's book simply calls for an end high-quality ( SL or SM)10-30 oil.  However, my enfeebled brain seems to recall that not all oils have the proper amount of zinc, phosphorus, etc. to provide adequate lubrication, especially at initial start up.  Someone has suggested pre-mixing a tube of moly assembly lube with a quart of oil would be a good thing.  I have, of course, used assembly lube on the cam and lifters.  I plan to pressurize the oil system and turn the engine over by hand and starter motor.  I would be eternally grateful if a member of our incredible and vast knowledge base would be kind enough to recommend an appropriate brand of oil and a startup additive, if desirable.  I will be using AMS oil after appropriate break-in.

Hope to see you in Ventura.

Paul Michalczyk
.