<VV> CO sensor

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 15:11:04 EDT 2008

Guys, since this thread about CO sensors has gotten to the point that it has
a 'no humor' badge,
let me really introduce a serious angle to this topic.

Back in the mid-'70s, I gave up driving Corvairs for one main reason; that
being the direct-air heating system.
At the time, I owned several performance models, even including a Yenko
Stinger, the pride of my fleet,
but I wound up using a terminally-rusty Fitch Sprint for winter driving, and
it had all the usual contaminated-air
problems, that showed up only during the depths of extened heater use. Bad
enough, that I was slowly poisoning
myself, running the heater during the winter, but I had a wife and small
child to consider also, so I went out and
bought a brand-new water-cooled V8 Monza and went on with my life.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved the basic rear-drive setup of the
Corvair, but if GM were to build the car today,
by law, they wouldn't be allowed to hook the engine-cooling exhaust air to
the passenger compartment!
It is simply common sense and there's no getting around it, with today's
consumer protection laws!

Having recently re-entered the hobby and planning on using my present
Corvair during the summer only,
I have completely disconnected the three direct-air flex-tubes from the
engine to the passenger compartment.
This will assure that I will never again be faced with driving down a road,
inhaling carbon monoxide, or battery fumes,
or oil fumes, or raw fuel fumes from some part of a seeping fuel system.
Even the best-maintained Corvairs, can occasionally be found to be pushing
forward one of these four contaminants,
always when you least expect it.

I would suggest that many other Corvair enthusiasts, who drive mainly during
the summer, could easily do the same,
since it doesn't really alter the car in a way that affects the value. These
flex tubes can always be replaced for a full,
100-point restoration car, but in the meantime, you have a much more
pleasant, up-to-date driving experience.
With a bit of clever work, you could even add a small electric air heater
under the dash,
for the occasional windshield defogging duty.

CO free, here in Wisconsin-

Mel Francis
65 Monza Convertible
77 Monza 2+2