<VV> Differences between 1963 80 and 102 engines...

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 17:32:26 EDT 2008

Hello Ron,

The pistons are the same.

The differences between the 80 and 102 are in the heads, cam shaft and
distributor.  I am not sure about the oil cooler or jets in the carbs.

With that said, I would not recommend the 102 HP conversion for your FC.  It
was offered for a very short time in the FC (Engine code, VD) but was removed
as an option because its torque curve was wrong for these vehicles.  The HP
comes in at a much higher RPM than the FC can usually use.  Other than the 150
HP turbo engine, the 102 was the hot engine in the 145 CI engines.

By the way, I have a 102 HP FC engine that I am going to turn into a 164 CI
110HP engine.  Original FC engines of any type are a rarity these days.  I
wonder what percentage of FCs are running with car engines today.  I bought all 3
or mine with car engines.  I would kill for a real 1965 FC engine for my 1965
Greenie.  Right now I would settle for the 1965 FC alternator/oil filter
mount.  Oh well.

In addition to the above recommendation, I would suggest that you get a new
set of pistons if it is in your budget.  You don't know the history of the 102
HP engine and you may just be replacing a bad part with a part that is a time
bomb.  You already have the engine apart so now is the time to do it.  Did
your engine drop a valve seat or some other catastrophe?  You may want to replace
both heads to avoid the same issue on the other side of the engine some time
in the near future.  The same thing with the pistons even if you use a know
good set of used pistons.

Good luck.

Dave
1960 Vette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965 Greenbrier;
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop; 1993
In a message dated 6/16/2008 12:12:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,