<VV> CO2 Serious Angle

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 19:34:15 EDT 2008

Smitty, this goes a bit beyond just keeping the heater system clean. I
always kept my best Corvair engines very clean.
Ever driven a feshly 'Gunked' and pressure-washed Corvair engine home from
the wash bay? Talk about fumes into the driver's face!

I think Craig Nicol said it very eloquently a few posts ago:
"There are 12 exhaust joints in the heater duct. Cast iron manifolds crack
occasionally. Failures of these items in their early stages are inaudible.
CO detectors are cheap.  Sounds like a no brainer to me."

But a CO detector cannot measure oil mist, battery fumes, or fuel vapors. So
the best way to completely protect the
passenger compartment from fume contamination might be to simply disconnect,
or make block-off plates for the flex tube mounts.

Rather than my being too cautious, put it down to:
My being able to drive a Corvair, without having to suffer anyone riding
along and saying, 'hey, what's that smell?'
That can really undermine a new-comer's first impression of an otherwise
fine automobile, not to mention, my own ownership pride .
(and years ago, I have had that happen, in one of my 'best' cars)

Remember, this is for warm weather, summer driven Corvairs only.

Mel Francis
65 Monza convertible
77 Monza  2+2