<VV> You Got it RIGHT! Re: CO or CO2 ? NO CORVAIR

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Jun 18 13:41:36 EDT 2008

Actually, both are toxic. Just at different threshholds, and by different mechanisms. CO binds FAR more strongly to your hemoglobin than either O2 or CO2, and as such, essentially makes it carboxyhemoglobin, which has FAR less oxygen transport capability than hemoglobin.

CO2 is in fact, VERY toxic. At 5%, it's almost immediately deadly. At 3%, breathing rate goes so high, one could have cardiac arrest, etc. The human body doesn't know when it's out of oxygen, only when there's too much CO2, and it will go to extreme measures to get rid of it, even if the atmosphere has too much in it.

See: