<VV> coil problems

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jun 19 18:20:46 EDT 2008

The coil is bolted to the engine? It needs to be for that test to work.

The spark will occur when the 12 volts is removed from the coil. Just as
the spark occurs when the points open.

A short time of operation without a resistor will be OK. The points will be
carrying a lot more current than normal, so they will burn when operated
for a while. A while varies in time.

Frank DuVal

I'm getting ready to start my 140 after a complete engine rebuild.  I
thought I would check the coil.  When I apply 12 V to the - and + terminals
of the coil, I get a very inconsistent (usually no) and weak spark from the
wire that would go to the center of the distributor cap when it is
connected to a sparkplug which is grounded to the engine block.  Is this
normal?  I want to start the engine on its engine stand to make it easier
to check for leaks and adjust the valves.  I intend to connect a battery
negative to the engine block with a piece of four gauge battery cable, the
positive battery cable will be connected to the starter, a pushbutton start
switch from the battery positive to the purple wire in the mini harness
which connects to the starter, and a 14 gauge wire from the battery
positive to the coil positive.  Is this appropriate?  Will it hurt anything
to run 12 V to the coil, without going through a resistor?

Thanks for your help.

Paul Michalczyk
the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org