<VV> Main Bearings - how perfect does the surface need to be?

Jedd Hebrink jhebrink at anvilcom.com
Fri Jun 20 18:31:48 EDT 2008

I received a package of Federal Mogul main bearings in the mail today.  The
original F/M box did a poor job of containing the bearing shells, and I was
disturbed when I picked up the shipping box to hear the bearings rattling
around loose inside.

Upon closer inspection, I determined that these bearings were rubbing
against each other in transit and it even appears that the sharp corners of
some had scratched and put dents into the surfaces of others.

My question is: How important is it that face, or crank side of the bearings
be perfectly smooth?  I have spent a lot of money on parts (>$1k) so far,
and I don't want to put this engine back together with bearings that are
going to cause me trouble.  On the other hand, I may be making a mountain
out of a mole hill.   Time is of the essence, as this car is my daughter's
daily driver and it has been out of commission for many weeks.  The vendor I
purchased these bearings from is unavailable until the end of June.  I would
appreciate recommendations.

Thanks,
Jedd

Checked by AVG.