<VV> Spike In Group Red

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 00:26:00 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/20/2008 4:42:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
vairologist at verizon.net writes:

As long  as an 891 will crank to 6,000 I can live with  it.

Hi Smitty,
None of my business but since you brought it up I'd be worried about  pushing
an 891 cam to 6 grand. Especially a 140hp engine. The 304 cam was  especially
designed to have longer ramps so as to reduce or eliminate MULTIPLE  valve
seating bounce that Chev experienced on the 140s using the 891 cam. Also  the
304 cam reduced valve float too. Losing the retainers on the lifters most
likely means you have been floating the lifters. Thus telling you that you need
either stronger valve springs or a cam with a better profile for your  rpms.

Were these lifters that lost the retainers normal Corvair lifters as
pictured in the '65 Shop Manual? Or were they after market-type lifters?

HTH

Regards,
Bob Helt