<VV> Corvair Clocks then Watches

bowtieguy bowtieguy at cox.net
Sat Jun 21 12:16:52 EDT 2008

The first car I ever owned that came with a clock was my '57 Bel Air 4 door wagon. My wife then wanted a clock in her Camry. When I bought my '64 Monza, it took a while to find the accessory clock, but I had it converted to quartz and it sits nicely on the dash like a tachometer. I actually purchased one from '61 and later found the correct one for '64. The '61 version now sits nicely on Mike Dawson's dash in his '61 wagon.

Dad had four watches, 1925 New York Standard pocket watch, 1928 Gruen wrist watch, 1954 Gruen 21 wrist watch and a 1968 Accutron. My brother has the Accutron and with one adjustment and cleaning, it still keeps very accurate time. I have had the other three cleaned and restored and they all run well. They add to the look with the old cars and Hawaiian shirts. My confirmation 1970 Bulova self winding still runs well with the '87 Seiko running well too. It goes to Georgia for any maintenance and repair.

Like cars, old watches are true time capsules. The clocks that light up at night on the dash on the way home from cruise nights or any other car event, help to focus on the style that we all love and appreciate.

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy at cox.net