<VV> Spike Part Three

Dennis PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Sat Jun 21 17:20:22 EDT 2008

If I was racing against Smitty, I would tell him to drill a 1/4 hole 3/4 inch deep in the center of the piston to reduce weight.  A competitor not having compression never hurt me.

dp-- > From: "Smitty Smith" <vairologist at verizon.net>> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>> Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:21 PM> Subject: <VV> Spike Part Three> > > > Smitty Says: The teardown continued today and along with it I put the > > rings on the right side where the compression had been low. Went slow but > > fairly well untill I pulled # 1 cylinder. It came out in pieces with the > > rings. Didn't look quite right to me but what do I know. Had a set of > > TRWs I was planing on using for a spare engine so I got one of them. > > Balanced it against the other one and found the TRW was quite a bit > > heavier. Not to fear. With the help of a piece of piano wire for a scale > > and a big grinder for the piston they weigh the same now. Good for at > > least 10,000 rpm. TRWs sure look funny after you drill a bunch of > > lightening holes in them. I didn't know how big to drill them in the top > > so I drilled them the same size as the ones in the skirt. Is that good?