<VV> Timing adjustments

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 22 17:03:17 EDT 2008

I'm sending this as I haven't received a reply yet and I would like
to balance the carbs this afternoon (wife willing).

<snip of reply> The timing seems a little retarded, no? The book
calls for 18 on the timing.

<snip of second reply> If it were my car I would keep advancing the
timing by 2 degrees at a time, then go out and drive it. When it
pings under load, back it off 2 degrees.

The car currently is set at 12-14 on the timing indicator gauge. Just
so I'm doing this right. The timing mark has 0-16. At 0 it is at TDC.
As the timing mark goes to the right when the distributor is
adjusted, it is advancing the timing by the degree on the timing mark
scale. If that is the case, I would have to be guessing on 18 degrees
past TDC as it would be registering off the scale. I would also like
to know if the fluctuation on the timing mark (it fluctuates about 2
degrees during measurement) is normal, not a big concern, or
something that indicates other issues that need to be addressed.

Stephen Upham