<VV> Thermister & guage and Thermostats

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 21:31:23 EDT 2008

Question #1

A while back my cylinder head temp gauge died. I traced it to a bad
thermister, replaced it and all was fine. Just last week, while I was
cruising down Pacific Coast Highway, the temp gauge dropped to zero. A few
miles later it jumped back up to normal temp. Throughout the drive it
bounced up then down several times. I checked the connector by the firewall
and it was tight. I'm guessing that the wire connected directly to the
thermister is loose. I won't be able to get under the car to check it for a
week or two.

It seems to me that a thermister either works or it doesn't. Has anyone had
problems with a thermister going intermittent or am I most likely correct
with the loose wire theory? I really don't want to have to purchase another
expensive thermister if I don't have to.

Question #2

My right side thermostat has failed open. This means that I have one open
door and one closed door when the engine is cold. The other (left) side
works correctly. I have a "new" replacement "in stock" and will replace it
when I get to the thermister. Will I be causing any damaging issues by
driving the car with one thermostat door open? I'm guessing it will not.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Thompson

63 Spyder Vert

Westminster, CA