<VV> Special Tools

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 23:52:59 EDT 2008

In his writings on Powerglide Transmissions, Bob Ballew described an alternate process for checking this clearance, using a piece of cardboard, a pencil and a clothespin. It works very well.

I believe the papers are available from the Corvanatics group.

Jim Danner wrote:

<<I separated the differential and powerglide to replace a side bearing on my 65 Sedan.? I was all set to put them back together when I read this in the shop manual:?
?
"1.? Prior to reassembly of the differential carrier to the Powerglide transmission after any repair which required separation of these units, perform the procedures outlined below to determine the thrust washers required at the front face of the governor gear.
?
"Stritct adherence to the procedure outlined below is mandatory to insure Powerglide internal running clearance of .025" - .045".? If transmission is assembled with less clearance, transmission failure is probable."
?
It then says you need special tool (J-8364) to check this clearance.
?
Does anyone know where I can find tool J-8364 or is there an alternative?? How do you insure proper clearance?>>
-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on