<VV> wheels & tire size

Jim Steinborn jim at steinborn.org
Tue Jun 24 13:04:24 EDT 2008

I am running 15 x 7" Olds Super Stock wheels on my late model Monza with
stock suspension. The backspacing is 4.25".

I mounted Yokohama AVS db S2 tires F: 205/60-15, R: 225/60-15. There is
near zero clearance between the outside shoulder of the tire and the
lower front part of the passenger side front wheel arch - I should trim
that a bit, but it only rubs when I am braking while backing up and
steering to the left just the right (wrong?) amount.

Coincidentally, this combination makes the speedometer exactly correct,
and 3000 rpm in high gear (3.55 rear end) is about 68 mph.

You can see pics here:

http://steinborn.org/jim/corvair/mods.html

BTW, the Olds SS wheels are *very* heavy: about 27.5 lbs each - but they
*look* terrific... ;-) They don't have quite enough backspacing (5"
would be ideal, but 4.25" is the same as the wheels a lot of other
Corvair owners are using), so there is a little "nibbling" at the
steering wheel when the tires encounter road surface changes on one side
or the other.

Jim

--
Jim Steinborn   Fort Collins,CO         http://www.steinborn.org/jim