<VV> Rough idle in drive

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 26 22:30:43 EDT 2008

Finally got time to try to balance the carbs.  I think that I did
that reasonably well by using the '65 manual instructions first and
then checking it with the Unisyn.  The problem is that it sounds
reasonably well in neutral, but when I put it in drive it starts to
idle roughly.  I drove it and it seems to drive well; fairly good
pickup - no lag, no weird vibrations.  I have dual mufflers and this
may hold a clue.  The right side exhaust note is smooth, steady and
just slightly audible in drive.  The left side sounds uneven, is
louder and lopes slightly.   No amount of idle or mixture adjustments
seem to do much to change that.  Where should I go next?

Stephen Upham