<VV> Parking brake and light

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 16:38:46 EDT 2008

Pam:

The switch for your '69 car (and '67 & '68s) sits on top of the stamped
steel mount for the pedals--not easy to see.  I had to feel for mine to  locate
it.  The pivot for the emergency brake handle is bolted to the  top of the mount
and the switch is up there with it.  It IS a hassle to get  to.  If the dash
brake light is not going on when you press the brake cable  then at least you
don't have a brake safety issue.  If the parking brake  has to be pulled all
the way up to hold the car on a slope then I would adjust  the parking brake
cable so firm resistance is felt at about two clicks (I  believe that is the
book recommendation).  If the parking brake cable is  too loose then the handle
won't fully seat when released and the brake warning  light will stay lit,
which is a safety issue because you won't know if the split  brake system has a
problem.  Check the parking brake cable adjustment first  and see if that cures
the problem before trying to adjust the switch--I didn't  remember what a
hassle it was until your email got me looking for it  again.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair