<VV> Engine Won't Start - Continued

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 22:07:05 EDT 2008

On the Fuel Side:
I have double checked the fuel system.
The fuel pump is working and has filled the carb float bowls.
No leaks. No obvious dirt/contamination in the line

On the Electrical Side:
Battery fully charged
Coil and plug wires checked
But when I remove a plug wire (any wire) and hold it about 1/2 or 1/4
inch from a grounded part of the engine bay, I do not get the expected
"zap" or "blue spark", thus I think my Pertronix unit has failed.

I cannot find anything on the web relating to possible failure of a
Pertronix unit due to "cranking the engine with the coil to dist wire
removed". Does anybody have any experience with this type of problem, or
has anybody heard of this problem before? On another of my cars, (69
Chevelle) I had an Accel module that failed in the same manner, but I
did not think that the Pertronix system would be susceptible to the same
problem.

I am ordering a new unit from my local NAPA store tomorrow to replace
the existing unit, but is there anything I might be overlooking? WHen I
dosconnected and removed the carbs, all I did was disconnect the
battery, then disconnect the fuel lines and linkages. I even put shop
towels in the  intake manifold to ensure things didn't "fall into" the
manifold (and yes I did remove them before installing the new carbs).

Thanks

Ed Orbea