<VV> Loosing gas, brake fluid and time

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 30 03:18:31 EDT 2008

	I balanced the carbs per the service manual and also using the
Unisyn.  It didn't help much.  I took the Monza for a drive to see
how it was behaving.  The idle in drive was low, so I stepped it up a
turn (360 on the screw) on both carbs and it idled better, but not
smoothly.  I drove it on the highway and it ran great.  When I was
garaging it, the idle was pretty smooth and the rpms were up from
where I had adjusted it.  I took off the air cleaner assembly on both
sides and the right carb is dripping gas out of the venturi
(diagnosed correctly on line by Chris L. of our club).  This is
probably the reason (and yes it was the left side that was running
rough when this thread started), but unfortunately I didn't know to
look into the vent to see if it was dripping at the time the left was
limping so I will never know if that was the culprit on that side
which is running normally, now.  I was told by the rebuilder of the
carbs to try some Techron carb cleaner first to remove any dirt etc.
as these carbs are pretty new component wise although they did have a
three year stint of non use.  They worked fine for about 2.5 K - this
fall, winter and spring - before this current problem was noticed.  I
would like to try to remedy the problem this way if possible before
opening the carb(s) to see what is happening internally as I have
never done it before.  So, I raised the car on jack stands and
checked to see what type of filter I had.  I remember putting this
on, but it has been awhile (four years) and I needed a refresher.  It
is a solid type filter before the electric pump.  I really don't
think that there is any contamination from this side as it has a
brand new filter, gas tank (Red Cote(d), and filler tube.  Perhaps it
gummed up in the carb somewhere, but it has been run regularly (at
least once a week) since November and this is the first time it has
had this issue.  I bought a carb repair kit from NAPA and am prepared
to dive into it.  I tried the hand over the carb, reving to 4K and
removing the hand, no luck.  I really hate to take the carb apart as
the car at least runs now, and I'm afraid it won't after I "fix" it.
	Thennnnnn, when I put it up on jack stands tonight, I pulled the
drums to take a look (has been pulling to the right, and the brakes
sometimes fail to completely disengage when the pedal is released) .
I found fluid on the hub of the left front.  I took the drum off and
when I pulled the boot back, sure enough it had fluid inside.  The
shoes are toast and it looks like I'll be replacing a major right
coast vendor's cylinder assembly that only had 3K use on it.   Is
this an item that I would trust to NAPA?  I'll also be replacing the
hoses in the rear (preventative medicine) -NAPA again-(fronts were
done when the cylinders and shoes were replaced) and draining the
system of DOT 3 and replacing it with silicone (water absorbtion
gives me the willes).  What type of alcohol should be used to flush
the system; denatured (wood), or isopropyl (antiseptic)?  Would
appreciate all replies ASAP as the annual club (NTCA) picnic is this
coming weekend and I really need to have the car safe to drive (being
the vice president and all - ggg).

Stephen "throw a rock, hit a needed repair" Upham
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110, Sierra Tan, Saddle