<VV> The "rest of the story"/Corvair on Ohio map

Steve Oxford seoxford at att.net
Mon Jun 30 16:12:35 EDT 2008

Here's the scoop on how a Corvair came to be on the cover of the new Ohio road map:/Steve Oxford
My name is Bruce Hull and I work for ODOT as a graphic designer. My14-year-old daughter Ashley and I both like antique and classic cars.To our surprise, my wife suggested we buy one. So we began looking fora project car that we could tinker around with. After looking forseveral months and at a handful of different types of cars, we found a1965 Chevrolet Corvair convertible painted Evening Orchid with 25,000original miles. It had been owned by a doctor in Pennsylvania who hadpassed away. He had had it in storage for 30 years. I have always likedCorvairs because of their unique and attractive design. The car belongsto my daughter and me. She loves it! She enjoys working on it andriding around in it as much as I do.

As the designer of Ohio's State Transportation map, I try to develop atheme that encourages people to see some of the things that Ohio has tooffer. The theme for this map was Ohio's Scenic Byways. For the cover Iwanted to show how peaceful and relaxing a drive down one of Ohio'sscenic byways would be. Since most people who own antique and classiccars do most of their driving on scenic, country roads, it didn't takemuch effort to decide what car to use on the cover. It was only naturalthat I include my family in the car. It is a great car, fun to driveand everyone who stops and talks to us about it used to own one or hadone in the family.

Bruce Hull
Ohio Department of Transportation
Office of Communications
1980 W. Broad St.