<VV> Importing corvair from Canada ??

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Mar 10 13:02:31 EDT 2008

No hassle at all.

Older than 1968, so it comes in with full automatic DOT/EPA waivers and
not even an import duty since it's a North American origin car.

 I do think there is a newer policy (since I've imported anything)  of
the US Customs guys wanting a copy of the title, etc over 24 hours in
advance, but a quick call to the specific Customs office you intend on
using will iron out specifically what THEY want to see (which in
practice is more important than what the official rules are anyway).
Every time I called the office, they did not see it as a bother but
rather appreciated the fact I was making sure I had what they needed
prior to showing up unannounced.

I've never spent more than 10 minutes in a Customs office (and that one
was them trying to figure out how not to charge me import duty since I
could prove the (UK origin)  car HAD been registered in the US before
even though I couldn't prove that import duty had been paid when it was
initially imported. In the end, they waived the fee based on the old US
registration.

Bill