<VV> oil and zddp again

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 10 17:05:41 EDT 2008

shorty wrote:

 > Anybody have any thoughts or experience on ZDDPlus available from
Clarks? Is this a "bandaid" (snake oil) or is it the real deal allowing
me to safely use my beloved Castrol GTX oil? Anybodody?

As Chas. Navarro has suggested, you are better off using an oil already
compounded to meet your needs rather than adding additive packages,
meaning use a SL rated oil, or earlier, or oil without Helt's
"starburst" eco emblem on the package.

" ... one bottle of EOS will last approximately three oil changes. Red
STP 4-Cylinder Treatment will also work -- one bottle to each oil
change. That said, it's best to use an oil that is properly formulated
from the start and doesn't require supplementation." --
http://www.356registry.org/tech/modern_oil_in_the_356.html

Or, see Bob Is The Oil Guy's  'The Story With Additives', showing a demo
of the effects of using one very popular additive --
http://bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Stay away fronm the SM rated oils, even if  Castrol GTX used to be your
beloved.  It sure isn't mine anymore, after it killed my wife's Voyager
'cause it couldn't deal with the extended drain periods it experienced.
Back to Delo on that damaged motor and I got another 90,000 out of it.
And that was back when GTX was a "good" oil.

For more information and oil sample results, please visit
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Bill Strickland

PS: Rotella T 15W-40 Synthetic may still be a SL/CI-4 rated oil on the
shelves in your area.