<VV> Steering Wheel Trim Rings

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue Mar 11 08:16:45 EDT 2008

There are two different kinds of trim rings.

The earlier wheels (and I don't know exactly when they switched, but I think
maybe in 1963?) have trim pieces that are not true rings, but actually "c"
shaped pieces (pot metal. I believe) that simply slide into the wheel, and
these can be pulled out and replaced without difficulty.

The later wheels ('64 for sure) have an actual stainless steel "c" shaped
piece that are clamped onto the wheel - these need to be expanded (or opened
up) before removal.  To re-install, you need to clamp them back onto the
wheel, and this is tricky as you need a tool that will do this without
damaging the ring.

Perhaps when I get time I will take and post photos of both styles.

Bill Hubbell
President, Stock Corvair Group