<VV> Towing an Automatic

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 06:44:14 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/12/2008 1:38:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vairologist at verizon.net writes:

Smitty Says:  I guess I should get my experience on the table.  I have nearly
cooked two PGs flat towing them.  Got them so hot it scorched the fluid.  One
of them took two oil changes and a couple weeks of driving before it started
acting right again.  Others I have towed mearly got hot.  I am talking 100
mile tows, or more.  I think that starting the car often and putting it in gear
is good advice.  Also holding the speed down to 50 or so would be good.  Not
denying the experience of others.

I have towed short distances (under 100 miles) with an automatic. I had a
cooler plumbed into the FC place on the front of the trans. It did get hot, but
no scorching. On local tows. 20-30 miles - no issue. But only local and/or slow
tows. Not recommending for long tows. - Seth