<VV> tow hubs, was: Towing a 4 speed

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 09:11:08 EDT 2008

I would question whether that is much of a concern as long as the car's
wheel bearings aren't turning, especially since the car isn't going to be
tossed around a corner at high speeds. With a set of tow hubs and the hand
brake pulled, the only load on the car's bearings would be static. Also, if
you would be using a set of hubs built from my tech tip in the January '08
CC, the offset is less than two inches. Most commercially-built hubs I've
seen offset the wheels as much as 4 inches. If you REALLY are worried about
it, have a set of wheels built just for use with the hubs that are reverse
offset to match the hub depth. Problem solved

There ARE ways around any problem, perceived or real.

BTW, my set of tow hubs have been in use for some 25 years and flat-towed
countless Corvair cars and FC's countless miles, all without the slightest
problem.

-Mark