<VV> Basic Mechanics (No Specific Vair content)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at unctv.org
Thu Mar 13 18:57:14 EDT 2008

Argh! Help! What's going on?

So I was persuing my *other* automotive obsession the other
day... starting up my favorite 57 Chevy station wagon.

I haven't driven it in a while, but I make sure and start and
run it for a while, at least every month or so, to keep things
lubricated, etc.

So it starts real easy- the motor (original 283) was rebuilt
just a year ago, has maybe a few hundred miles on it so  far.

Runs good for circa 15 minutes, then starts backfiring thru
the tailpipe like crazy!

Pop, pop, pop... BAM!

So just shut it down.

What the hell's going on?!

Another troublesome symptom- it's blowing LOTS of thick WHITE
smoke thru just one tailpipe. Other tailpipie blows a little
blue smoke, but just a little. Only one tailpipie (the white
smoker) backfires!

No bubbling in the radiator (yet).

I'm wondering- could I just be mis-firing on one head and spewing
unburnt gas into the exhausts that accumulate then ignite?

Thoughts?

CJ Wilson