<VV> The Doctor's Car

Vukas, Robert robert.vukas at jostens.com
Fri Mar 14 11:44:15 EDT 2008

The Doctor's Car: 1964 Monza 110 Convertible for Sale by Second Owner

Dr. Ali Mebed and his wife Fatayah arrived from Egypt her in Topeka in
1953. Dr. Meded was working at the Menninger Foundation and had planned
to stay 5 years. Zoom forward 11 years to March 1964. The Mebeds take
delivery of the Monza Convertible. The car is driven once to Colorado
but mostly around town and in the state of Kansas. Zoom forward 19 years
to 1983. The '64 Monza is repainted, has new tires installed, a Midas
muffler, two new front seats and a new top put on. The car is now run
only in the summer and spends the rest of the time in the garage. Zoom
ahead to 1991. Dr. Mebed passes away. Zoom ahead to 1997. The Mebed's
grandson turns 16. Fatayah, his grandmother takes him out for a drive
and offers to give the car to him for his birthday. He replies to her
"Grandma, I could never driver this car as all people do is stare when
we go by". The same offer is made in 1999 on his 18th birthday but it is
turned down again.

This is where I came into the picture. My neighbor told me of the car in
1992 and I would receive a yearly call telling me that if the car was to
be sold it would be to me. April 1999 was when we exchanged our check
for $5000 for the car. Mrs. Mebed was very proud of the fact that the
car had new in 1983 bias ply black wall tires, a new top, new seats and
new paint. The scratch in the windshield could be fixed said she to me
and all would be well.

I started restoring a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Townsman wagon in 1989 and
that process is still on going. Whitey, a patient man and mechanic,
agreed to check out the car mechanically first, before any other work
was done. This is what has been done to the car in 9 years.  The pushrod
tubes were installed, engine compartment resealed, new gaskets and
weather stripping all around, battery box repaired, entire heating
system, including blower motor, was replaced, the generator was rebuilt,
the coil replaced with a Flamethrower, a new points plate was installed,
new springs and shocks were installed, the carburetors were exchanged
for remanufactured new ones, new radial tires, 5 of them including the
spare were installed, reproduction T-3 headlamps were installed, new
brakes were installed along with a new master cylinder, the transmission
has been serviced, the oil cooler has been cleaned and resealed, the
heat doors for the engine have been repaired with new thermostats, the
original radio has been converted (internally to am/fm), the passenger
floor has been replaced with new Accoustishield  heat and sound
insulation added beneath the new carpeting, new correct seat belts have
been installed, The interior trim that needed painting or replacing has
been done, there is a new dash pad, new door panels, new rear seat
upholstery, new door handles, a new windshield with used original
Corvair tinted side glass were installed, a front spoiler was added like
the late model Corvairs, the trunk was repainted, a gas door guard, a
tissue dispenser, a quartz converted original clock , a rear license
plate frame (NOS), NOS vanity mirror with comb, remote driver's side
mirror, manual passenger side mirror, and a litter container accessories
were installed, the body sill plates and door sill plates were replaced,
the wheel opening moldings were replaced, the top was replaced with new
one including a tinted green rear plastic window, the tires were
replaced again in April 2007 with four  Hankook 714 white walls, a new
top boot was purchased from Clarks and then it became winter 2007-2008.

This spring there will be a new battery, nos rear grill, restored
headlight bezels and finally a new Sears Diehard Battery will be
installed. Whitey will paint the wheels and adjust the passenger door
for proper fit to complete the package.

I am selling the car as I have purchased a new challenge, a 1970 Impala
4 door sedan, with 14,000 original miles on it. The car will arrive at
Whitey's home, 3/14/08.

What is left to do for this car? It needs to be driven and cared for by
someone who can appreciate a silver blue, white top, Monza Convertible,
110, Powerglide with a K&N air filter that is ready for the road. I have
driven the car to Minnesota's Back to the Fifties Car Show twice but
mostly to Lawrence and Kansas City on outings. The car has approximately
109 thousand miles on it now and will leak transmission fluid and oil if
not driven, like most old cars.

Who would like a good, make that great collector car to add to or to
begin their collection?

Bob Vukas

bowtieguy at cox.net

Bob Vukas

Jostens

4000 SE Adams St.,Topeka,KS 66609

phone:1-800-262-9725,ext.5260

fax: 785-266-9267,attention: Bob

technical support: 1-800-328-2435

email: robert.vukas at jostens.com <mailto:robert.vukas at jostens.com>

www.yearbookave.com <http://www.yearbookave.com/>

You Matter

Always render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter
what your task may be.
Og Mandino