<VV> Leaking pan gasket

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 14:07:44 EDT 2008

John asked:
<snip> Looking for some great advice on repairing a leaking oil pan . 66
manual trans 140 motor. Should I use rtv on both sides of cork nitrile
gasket? Any other recommendations on what to address at the bottom end of
motor while oil pan is off? Many thanks John
John Gull <unsinip>

Craig replies:
Unfortunately, there isn't much inside the oil pan except oil, the pickup
tube, and the end of the dipstick tube.  If you have had problems with oil
pumping up the dipstick tube (caused by crankcase pressure) and you have
already made sure the PCV system if functioning properly, now is the time to
cut off the end of the dipstick tube flush with the block.  Other than that,
clean the oil pickup screen and straighten the oil pan with a small ball
peen hammer and backup block.  I put a small amount of RTV on the pan side
and at the junction of the block and bellhousing. FWIW, I faced the same
symptom recently and decided to clean everything off before I started just
to verify the source of the leaks, which for all the tea in China, appeared
to be coming from the RF corner of the pan.  Imagine my surprise when the
freshly cleaned (brake cleaner) side of the bellhousing kept developing an
oily sheen.  It turned out that the bell housing was cracked horizontally
about 1" above the oil pan. With the weight of the engine, the crack opened
a tiny amount.  Looking at the bellhousing on the bench, you can hardly find
or see any problem.  It saved me a ton of work to learn about the true
source of the leak before I started the job.
Craig Nicol

Checked by AVG.
10:34 AM