<VV> Erratic gas gauge

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Mar 17 22:43:51 EDT 2008

It sounds like you have a working gas gage.

1 1/2 gallons in a really empty tank should read E.

If you step on the brake and the needle quivers and resettles on E, that
is also correct operation with 1 1/2 gallons in the tank.

Now if you are seeing E until you operate the turn signals or brake
pedal when the car is stopped, then it is not sloshing gas. Now you may
have a bad dash ground along with a bad ground on one of your rear lights.

Explanation:

Current flows through the brake light switch or turn signal switch to
the rear lamp assembly. There it goes through the "bright" filament to
the shell of the lamp holder. It SHOULD go to ground at this point, but
if the ground is bad, the current can flow through the "dim" filament
back to the dash lamps. Here it should again flow to ground after
passing through the dash lamp filaments. But, with a bad ground at the
instrument cluster, the current flows through the fuel gage to the
sending unit and then to ground. A long path, but electrons like to
travel through the least resistance path.

So as others have said, check the instrument cluster ground screw. It is
one of the lower ones near the steering column.

Frank DuVal