<VV> Tire Pressure gauge reccomendations wanted

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 18 21:48:36 EDT 2008

Finding my right front tire on my Corvair flat the other day caused some
concern, since I had that side almost up against the garage wall of my
cramped garage.  I did manage to get the hose of the compressor on the valve
stem and get it re-inflated to where I could back the car out and jack it
up.  I didn't find anything in it, but I took it off anyway and will have it
checked out.  In the mean time since the compressor was dragged out on the
driveway now, I decided to check all the tire's pressure in both my Corvair
and my new truck, which has been reading (cold) about 3 pounds low all
around.

First thing off the bat, my best tire gauge refused to work, but it did a
good job of letting the air out of the tires, so I ended up using an old
pencil type.  This morning, with the outside temps considerably colder than
yesterday afternoon when I filled them, my trucks tires were reading 37 psi,
rather than the 35 I thought I was setting.  Before sun up this morning and
being considerably colder than yesterday afternoon, my trucks tires were
reading 37psi and as the day went on and the temps warmed up a little, I was
up to 40 psi.

I'm tired of crappy gauges.  I would like to find one that fit tight on the
valve stem, read accurately, and was easy to read, without having to put my
reading glasses on.  I've tried finding comparisons on the internet, but the
one that looked promising and sold by Griots Garage, is no longer available.
So I'm asking for advice from VV on what they have found to be good.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Kent Island, MD