<VV> Factory AM/FM Radio volume comes and goes

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 19 00:34:16 EDT 2008

I have a problem with the factory AM/FM radio that I need to solve
before our H.O.T. meet in Glen Rose on the 18-20 of April.  We can
use the FM to broadcast the drive-in movie that we are going to see
as part of the activities during the weekend.  The radio keeps going
on and off.  The problem seems to originate in the on/off-volume
knob.  If I turn it on, the light on the dial comes on, but there may
or may not be volume.  If left on, sometimes it will come on for a
few seconds and then the volume goes off again.  If you turn the
volume up, it sometimes blasts for a second or two and then silence.
The knob is a little loose (comes out about 1/8 inch).  Sometimes,
wiggling it gets the volume to come on for a second or two.  I
checked the ground strap and it is secure.  Might this be an internal
issue (bad, loose transistor), or will tightening the knob (and how
is it done) remedy the situation?

Thanks,
Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Vice-President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110