<VV> dim dash lights

Lanning14 at aol.com Lanning14 at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 23:29:12 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

I'm new to VV, but not Corvairs. Been driving one or more since 1983. The
dim dash lights peaked my interest. I didn't see a clear cut answer. Every
Corvair I've owned had dim dash lights, but since I drive them very little at
night, I haven't thought much about it until recently. I'm updating my V-8
conversion with engine gauges in the console. The gauges are wired to the
headlight switch. They are bright and the dash lights are dim. I started looking  at
the lamps since I know the switch is fine. According to the shop manuals, the
instrument lamps should be #1816 (3 candlepower). After checking the lamps in
four Corsa dashes, all instruments have lamp #1895 (2 candlepower).  The
#1895 lamp is listed for use with the idiot lights only and were corrected  fitted
with the #1895 lamp. Some of the instrument panels were  removed from cars 30
years ago. These are original lamps. The factory  simply used what was handy
in my opinion.

After going on line and checking with my local NAPA dealer, I bought some
#1816 lamps thinking my problem was solved, not so. Even with the higher
candlepower, the instruments are only marginally brighter. I went back to NAPA  and
found a lamp that will provide additional brightness. I'm now using lamp
#1847 (3.8 candlepower). The candlepower rating is only about 20% higher, but  the
instruments are significantly brighter. If you're concerned about heat build
up, you can either adjust the light switch or consider using a LED
replacement lamp from someone like _sales at LEDLight.com_ (mailto:sales at LEDLight.com) .
Hope this helps those  looking for brighter instruments at night. When I find
the correct  replacement LED bulbs for the 1156 and 1157 tail lights, I'll send
an  update unless someone else has already found the right bulbs.

Best Regards,

John Lanning
Member-Corsa, Derby City Corvair, V-8 Registry
1965 Corsa 4.5L coupe
1966 Corsa Conv 140 w/A/C

Home.