<VV> dim dash lights

Lanning14 at aol.com Lanning14 at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 18:10:27 EDT 2008

I stand corrected. Jerry is right about using the 1847 lamp to replace  the
1816 lamp. My NAPA dealer confirmed that he sold me the bulb in error.  It's
rated at 6.3 volts and probably wouldn't last very long. The dealer  suggested
that the light switch may reduce the voltage to the lamps.  I just checked it
and the instrument socket reads 10.8 volts  (engine off) on a high quality
Craftsman multi-meter.

Cliff's concern about using newer 1816 bulbs in the tachometer is well
founded. I couldn't get one to seat in the tachometer either. The  newer 1816 bulbs
are not round, but elongated causing them to bottom out when  inserted in the
lamp housing of the tach. The NAPA guy suggested that we  check out other
lamp manufacturers still making the older round style.  Might get lucky and find
some new 'old stock' lamps on the shelf at your local  lighting company.

As Jerry suggested, LED's may be the best choice, but expensive. I plan to
call several Internet suppliers next week for their recommendations. Has anyone
 out there solved this problem to their satisfaction? Still looking for
suggestion better than the one I gave.

Again, sorry about the bad recommendation.

John Lanning
Member: CORSA,Derby City Corvair, V-8 Registry
1965 Corsa 4.5L coupe
1966 Corsa Conv 140 w/AC

Home.