<VV> McQueen book - Corvair content

steven at sashimi.org steven at sashimi.org
Sat Mar 22 21:50:19 EDT 2008

Browsing this evening in a bookstore, I came across a book about the
personal and movie automobiles of Steve McQueen.  I probably wouldn't have
picked it up but I'd just noted a brief blurb about this book in the latest
Haggerty magazine.  I only had to read the dust jacket to find mention of a
Corvair powered dune buggy built and driven for "The Thomas Crown Affair".
In the book there are a couple of pictures of the buggy (with Steve McQueen
driving and Faye Dunnaway riding shotgun) and a couple of paragraphs about
it.  There's a photo of the buggy from the rear showing the engine, with
the caption taking particular note of the stock Corvair 140 HP engine air
cleaner. Interestingly, the buggy is indexed under "C" for Corvair, and not
under "D" (Dune) or "M" (Meyers-Manx).  I wasn't all that interested in the
book (though the picture of the SOLAR prepared Porsche 917 looked sweet)
but I did come home and set up my DVR to record "The Thomas Crown Affair"
the next time it's on TV.

- Steve Brown

National CORSA member
Chapter memberships - PCA / Corvanatics / '69 Group

'62 Rampside
'69 Monza convertible 140/PG