<VV> distributor vs aircraft magneto

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 22:07:30 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

> > turned a
> > wrench on aircraft for many years and setting points and dwell is
> > not a
> > problem as long as the coil, condenser and the points are clean w/
> > good
> > spring tension you can get great performance. That is with a aircraft
> > magneto. What is everyones take on the electronic ignition for
> > corvairs? Is
> > there a good electronic product out in the market place? Thanks Steve

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/Aircraft/IgnitionSystem/Images/Bendix_Breakdown.gif
I think items 64 and 70 are ball bearings, which work a long time and maintain just a few thousandths of an inch radial play.  Most of my automotive points distributors have bearings consisting of simple bronze bushings in the aluminum distirbutor housings, and by the time I got them, worn 0.010 or even greater radial clearance which raises hell with consistent dwell (the symptom) and produces several,  maybe even a dozen degrees of timing variation or spark scatter (the disease).
Dan Timberlake