<VV> re.. dim dash lights

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Mar 23 00:27:46 EDT 2008

I do not know why LEDs could not be dimmed. We use a dimmer system with
LEDs as cab lighting on a truck project at work. This is a 12 volt
system. The brightness of an LED is determined by the current flowing
through it, which is related to supply voltage and dropping resistor
value. Change the dropping resistor value and you can change the
brightness. Too bright and POP!  Just do not exceed the current limit of
the LED and you will be fine.

Here is an example of an electronic dimmer for LEDs:

http://www.theledlight.com/controls.html

A rheostat should also work.. The range of the existing rheostat may not
give you the results you want due to lower current draw of the LEDs.

Frank DuVal