<VV> follow up to no compression in cylinder #3

Jedd Hebrink jhebrink at anvilcom.com
Mon Mar 24 19:48:32 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on my question regarding my 66 Monza
110 HP PG.  In the original post I lamented finding no compression in #3
while the other 5 cylinders tested at 150 psi.  With the head off, I have
discovered the problem, or at least gotten closer.  I pushed on the #3
piston and it slid right back up the cylinder.  (The other pistons remained
motionless) There were signs of oil staining along the cylinder wall along
the bottom.  I am not sure what broke.  Any suggestions?  Is it the rod or
wrist pin?  I guess the only way to find out is to yank the cylinder off.

I would value input and suggestions from the group.  Can I get away with
just fixing the problem on #3, or do I need to tear down the entire engine
and split the crankcase open?  If the rod is broken, I guess I have no
choice but to open the crankcase.  Can I just replace the broken rod, or do
I need to replace all six?  What else should I consider replacing if I want
to keep this car running?

Many thanks,
Jedd (I see a long project ahead of me) Hebrink

Checked by AVG.
6:50 PM