<VV> front wheel bearings

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 20:56:54 EDT 2008

Harry asked:
<snip>
Why are the inner and outer roller wheel bearings different sizes?
harry yarnell
<unsnip>

Craig replies:
There's the practical matter that it's convenient for the inside diameter's
get progressively larger to make it easier to put together but I believe the
real reason is that the inner bearing's load is much greater than the outer
bearing's load. I've never seen the numbers on a Corvair, but on my GMC
motorhome the inner bearing carries about 4x the load of the outer.
Bearings are relatively expensive so why not install a smaller, less
expensive bearing.  As an aside, on the GMC motorhome, changing the offset
of the rim about .75" (from memory, I have the real numbers here in a book)
reversed the loading on the bearings and that little change in offset just
wipes out the bearings 'cause the outboard bearing becomes very overloaded.
Craig Nicol
4-LM Corvairs
1-65 Vette
1-GMC Motorhome