<VV> Corvair engine in VW van

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 12:24:17 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/27/2008 8:00:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com writes:

Guys,
I have a T2 VW van with a Corvair engine & manual  transaxle.  This kit
apparently used some adapters to attach the stock VW  halfshafts to the Corvair
stub axles.  A VW guy is interested in it, but  wants to put it back to VW power.
Does anybody know if this is an easy  conversion back - or is some stuff
hacked up during the initial  conversion?
Thanks,
Andy K.

There were two kits available to perform this conversion. Crown
Manufacturing and Hadley Chassis Engineering took different routes to the  solution. Crown
machined new halfshaft yokes. These bolted into the 65-up  differential,
replacing the original yokes and allowed the bolt-on of the  VW Van normal CV
Joint. Hadley want the cheaper route. They fabricated  a round plate with a pair
of blocks welded on. The blocks dropped into  the Corvair yokes, allowing the
round plate to bolt onto the face of the  yokes with special tapered head
screws and the VW Van Normal CV Joint to bolt  onto that plate. As I recall, (I
installed a Hadley kit back in 1975) nothing of  the VW was cut or bent to
complete the installation. Now, as to why someone  would want to go back to the
anemic VW, I cannot say.

The best conversion I ever saw was the installation of the 3.0 liter 911S
Porsche motor and 5-speed into an early Vanagon. It was a parts runner for a
southern California Porsche house.     - Seth  Emerson

Home.