<VV> Cams for Turbos Re: more on camshaft

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 17:52:55 EDT 2008

Mark,
    "able to race kids from light to light" means you  want minimal turbo
lag, fast response from idle and boost at relatively low  revs.  Turbos generally
need cams that have little overlap between the  intake and exhaust valves
opening.  This generally indicated a stock  OEM-type cam like the one that came
from the factory with the stock 180  engine.  OT-20 sounds like it has more
overlap than the OT-10 which may  itself have more overlap than the stock 180
cam.  Large lift with turbo  cams is good, but large overlap is not.
    Read the chapter on Turbocharging in the Corvair  Basics Manual to see
what else you can do to get the kind of performance you  want and "beat those
kids".<GGGG>
    Let us know what you learn and what you decide to  do.
    Regards,
    Frank "boost can beat displacement" Burkhard

In a message dated 3/27/2008 2:21:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,