<VV> follow up to no compression

C K corvair at mad.scientist.com
Mon Mar 31 14:53:32 EDT 2008

Hi Jedd.  Sorry to see your loss.  I had a similar experience about a twelve years ago in my 62 on a trip to AZ from Southern California for Thanksgiving.  Good thing my Wife to be was following behind me.  ;)
Mine damaged the block, the cylinders (2), The crank, The cam and The upper baffle (Below the fan bearing housing) if I remember correctly.  Mine was caused by stretched rod bolts that (hanging my head in shame) were not changed during a previous very low budget rebuild 6 or 7 years earlier.

When you have that type of failure check everything.

On the bright side for me, after many years of storage and more recently years of vandalism, it is coming home.  I am going to assess it and if structurally sound stuff a small block Chevy in the back seat.  My wife told me so!  :)

Good luck with it and I hope the damage is minimal.

Curtis

61 700 sedan
62 900 Monza
65 140 Corsa convertable