<VV> more on the mangled rod

Jedd Hebrink jhebrink at anvilcom.com
Mon Mar 31 17:20:25 EDT 2008

For all those who have seen the pictures of the broken rod and cap I posted,
here is a bit more background:

The car (66 Monza 110 PG) belongs to my 21 year old daughter.  She was
driving at freeway speeds when she heard, in her words, "a loud, sharp
crack".  The engine continued to run but started shuddering badly.  She got
off the road and called her brother.  Together they managed to get it
another mile to her home.  I trailered her car to my workshop and started
it.  It was not seized and would start, but not run.  That's when I did the
compression test and discovered none in cylinder #3.

I am sure there are many opinions and in the end, I will have to find my own
answer, but can anyone suggest how far I should go with rebuilding this
engine?  My daughter loves her car, but does not have heaps of spare cash.
My wife and I are willing to help her, both with buying parts and my doing
as much of the rebuild as possible.  I guess my specific questions are,
after identifying the possible (likely) damage to the crankshaft and perhaps
the camshaft as well, should I focus on just replacing broken parts, or go
ahead and replace all six cylinders, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, have
the heads done, etc., etc.  Just pricing out replacement parts makes me
think we could easily drop a couple of thousand dollars.  I would really
appreciate hearing from the group on what you thinks makes the most sense,
especially for daily driver that is otherwise in very "average" condition.

Thanks,

Jedd