<VV> Clark's HD Starter..for a 60?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Apr 5 15:49:58 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/4/2009 6:14:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rusecular at yahoo.com writes:

For my  1960 (with a 140 hp engine), I'm planning to purchase and install
Clark's Heavy Duty Starter.

This starter has no nose (to break  off) but it shows the solenoid on
top (1960 has the solenoid on  bottom of the starter):

I think these starters are the IMI Performance Products Mini Hi-Torque
Units. I pulled one down out of my stash and checked it out. Like most of these
gear-reduction starters (Often called Chrysler-type, because that was the most
common OEM usage) IMI adapted their standard Mini unit to the Corvair with an
aluminum block adapter. Many of their various starters come  with adapters
that are drilled to allow the starter to be "re-clocked" in a  different
position (like hands of a clock). This is usually to gain header  clearance on V8s. -
The Corvair adapter does not have more than one  pattern, though, but it
appears like the pattern might allow the starter to be  flipped 180 degrees on the
adapter. As I recall, the 1960 starter nose was  essentially an upside down
version of the 61-69. If you really want to  try this, give it a shot. Why not
line up one of the racers to take this off  your hands if it won't work on the
60? The racers could use the  discount!

By the way, the OEM starter on the Corvair was almost exactly the same -
mechanically - as the ones used on the V8s. Plenty enough for even a high
compression motor. For the 80 HP low compression - You could probably use a rope
and a pull starter. Not too convenient from the drivers seat, though!

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette