<VV> FOR SALE

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sun Apr 5 18:48:19 EDT 2009

The term "2 door sedan" is in more common use in the rest of the world,
but because of the way American car companies marketed, they pretty much
called all 2 doors "coupes" here, whether pillared or hardtopped. Same
thing for 4 doors being sedans (of either variety). Whether a specific
company marketed a specific car a particular way was more a matter of
marketing preference than anything concrete. If Chevy marketers called
the late model Corvair 4 door a "four door hardtop" or whatever, the
general public still viewed it as a "sedan".  Whether technically
correct or not (I think the correct technical term is "hardtop sedan" or
"sports sedan"), that's the convention that is "reality" in the US.

Since it's just a marketing term, it really doesn't matter, but using
the more technical (SAE) design definitions (which use interior volume
to differentiate), the Corvair 2 door is actually a "2 door sedan"
primarily  because of the full size rear seat... coupes are more
typically  2+2's (or two seaters). Other conventions say that the
existence of a B pillar signifies "sedan" and it's absence signifies
"coupes".   So by that standard early 2 doors are 2 door sedans while
lates are coupes...

But again, the reality is the late Corvair 2 door is simply a "coupe"
because that's how it was marketed and accepted by the public...

Just like with politics, semantics don't alter the characteristics of
anything and marketing terms are nothing more than a matter of fashion...

Bill