<VV> 2 Door Sedans

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sun Apr 5 20:18:38 EDT 2009

Smitty Says;  Things change and some people don't.  Sometimes people change but the facts don't.  When I was a kid and my dad had a 36 Chevy 2 door sedan, that is how I thought of it.  There were coupes also with no back seat, and 4 door sedans with (guess what) 4 doors.  A couple of years later cars came as club coupes, that were coupe looking bodies with a cramped back seat.  Looking back at that criteria you could not call a 2 door sedan a coupe nor could you call a club coupe a sedan.
So the manufacturers can call them anything they want and we the public can accept it or not as we choose.  To me all Corvairs with 2 doors are coupes and all 4 doors are sedans with the term hardtop convertible merely being an add on description.  Window posts (or none) have nothing to do with the base body description.
I understand that the folks on the other side of the lake have a terminology all their own for car parts and body styles which is all well and good, but no one will ever convince me I am wrong in my understanding of coupes, sedans, and convertibles.